Sunday, January 8, 2012

'Bout my taste of music and how that helped me to act like the Romans.

An old friend of mine gave me the idea of this post by accident.

Basically I've grew up listening to all sort of music. From my mother side there was all that type of MPB (Brazilian Pop Music) and few Brazilian Trad. From my father it was mainly trad Jazz(30's) and American Folk music. For some reason I was never keen to MPB but still showed some interest in Brazilian Trad. Specifically Forró. I've always listened to artists such as Alceu Valença, Zé Ramalho and Luiz Gonzaga. I think their regional songs sound more roots than stuff like Joao Gilberto, Chico Buarque, that kinda thing. I've also detested bossa nova. Still do, but there are few that I can cope with :-) Here in Ireland there is a good chance you will hear "bossa nova" in many places such as cocktail parties or fancy restaurants. Needless to say, Bossa nova is not genuinely Brazilian.

On the other hand, I remember when I was turning 8 or 9 and I was caught listening to songs that I've never thought would helped shaping my taste of music. Back then my sister Una like to play some records like Supertramp, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springteen(yuck!) all day long, over and over. She also played Brazilian "rock" like Legiao Urbana and Capital Inicial but, it was the international rock that was always in love with. The more I couldn't understand what those guys were singing, the better. And believe me it was better this way :-). My interest in Rock increased along the years 'till I found bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Gn'R, Black Sabbath, etc. At that time then I was completely sure that rock was my cuppa :-)

Now, it is a good help being a Rock dude if you live in Ireland. Not too hard you will find rock pubs all around the country as well as DJs that play rock tracks at people's parties. Everytime we go to Dublin I know I will be up for few pints at Bruxelles or at the Gipsy Rose, which is still a "novelty" for me. Kazzy does like rock too which is even greater.

So I do appreciate these things. I do appreciate that there are many rock artists that I didn't care much when living in Brazil but now I kinda like them.

About MPB...well, thank God I am free from that thing. About Trad Brazilian I do like to play few forró tunes in some of our parties and even Kazzy does like it too.

Keep on rockin \m/

No comments: